Lost Password?   -   Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Social Pages
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Google+
.Phoenix USC on Google+

Follow Us on Twitter

[-]
Twitter

[-]
Top Poster
no avatar

Congratulations to Lone Outlaw, our current top poster for the last day with 1 posts!

[-]
Random Quotes
New video featuring 6 new ships, weapons . . .
Vidiot_X's profile Vidiot_X
. Above is a video of the progress made on Phoenix USC. In this video I quickly show 6 new ships and weapons effects and then do a fly through of the map. Als . . .

Progress Update: Server 06/18/2014
06-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Phoenix USC Progress Update: Server 06/18/2014
Hi,

I have been working on the server and now have a complete client correction system in place. Basically what this is a way for the server to correct a connected clients position (game state) and more. This prevents clients from cheating and allows the server to be completely authoritative meaning it can control a connected client. Because clients now only send move/options data (left, right, thrust, fire and so on) there is no way for a client.

For the more technically inclined the Phoenix USC server uses a method outlined in Gabriel Gambetta wonderful tutorial on fast paced multi-player games which you can find here. This method works really well and when coupled with an 'Unreal engine" like buffer for lag compensation yields a smooth client correction (from server) and can handle high latency. In fact the client and server are in almost perfect sync using this method allowing for very few corrections to the client aside from when the client is sending inputs. This means for example when the ship is coasting in your client it requires virtually no corrections from the server even when it hits a wall. This is possible because the client and the sever both run exactly the same code for movement and such.

I will be working on getting remote ships appearing in a client to move smoothly. I have a working method and I am applying it now. Once that is done the networking code will pretty much done and I can finaly move on. Big Grin I have also started to add a ship selection interface that will allow hundreds (that's right 100's) of ships to be available.

I'll post some media as soon as I get the next build done.

Rock on,
- Rich -

[Image: basic_badge.png] Phoenix USC - Steam group Phoenix USC - Twitter Phoenix USC - Facebook Phoenix USC - IndieDB Phoenix USC
IRC: quakenet.org #phoenixusc
Support Monkey X2 development at Mark Sibly's Patreon page.
Richard Betson
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
This forum uses Krzysztof "Supryk" Supryczynski addon..: