Lost Password?   -   Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Social Pages
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Google+
.Phoenix USC on Google+

Follow Us on Twitter

[-]
Twitter

[-]
Top Poster
no avatar

no posts

[-]
Random Quotes
Big update. :)
Vidiot_X's profile Vidiot_X
Hi, I have been busy add features to PUSC. Smile I have posted a video showing the potential of the new high resolution, arena wide, seamless background effect. . . .

Random Ideas by resoL
12-07-2013, 09:02 PM
RE: Random Ideas by resoL
Map Editor:

I know it's probably far from complete, but just wanted to list some things I hope to see in it.

Really hoping that you will add some more tools that are in traditional map makers, line tool, square, circle, ect...

I think I read something you had wrote about the user-end development for the game would be scripting? I think it might help to be able to write some of those directly in the map editor for special map functions and player interaction. For example, if I wanted to create multiple 'hot-spots' on my map that would trigger certain events such as, send the player on screen text or images I could set that up. Or other functions as well such as warping / moving and other things.

It seems like a lot of the other things on my mind might be getting added at some point, and I will have to come back to this after I have used the map editor first hand, and not just seen a video of it.

A key factor that has kept me involved with subspace in the ability to develop. I am looking forward to running a Phoenix USC server once I am able to and develop it. I currently have a Linux server just waiting.

On another note, when new versions of Phoenix come out, is the client going to automatically promt the user to update? Also, how is the client going to find other servers, will it search a directory server like subspace does now, or will you only hard code the main server in, and allow users to add custom server ip's?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 09:04 PM by resol.)
From the map editor, ability to create walls / objects that can be destroyed, be able to give the object health, recharge rate, maybe give it weapons as well, default or custom explosion graphics, option to completely remove the object after it's been destroyed, replace the object or timer to respawn the object. Options for what to do with the killer of the object as well.

Would it be possible to create an 'Auto Junk' feature, and let me explain:

In subspace when ships are destroyed - a junk.img is used, which is actually a sprite sheet that animates the parts exploding outwards from the ship. Could you make the client automatically cut the ship image into pieces and animate its parts flying out from the center of the explosion? Maybe even make the process random, to give each explosion it's own unique effect.
12-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Another suggestion for the map editor is to have animated map objects. Would be great to be able to set up moving map objects as well.

For example, if I wanted to set up something like an animated image of an asteroid rotating, and set up and orbit path for it to loop around another object.
12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi,

I am adding animated map parts at the moment. The wormhole effect is an animated map part you can place anywhere via the map editor. There are a few caveats, one being that although you can have an animated image for a map part it has to conform to any static collision added to it, if it has collision. So while a animated asteroid is allowed with rotation it (for now) can't have collision as there is no rotation allowed in the current collision model. This is a performance issue for low end systems as rotating all the vector points and lines can be CPU costly. With that said parts can be potentially moved around in game such as shooting a part and making it move. Something I will look into at a later date.

At the moment the whole map can be rotated (really its the display that gets rotated) so a map can be viewed at any angle which is cool but really is a projection trick and not the actual parts being rotated. After I get everything up and running I will look into adding rotation to the collision model. As I begin to squeeze more and more efficiency out of the engine there will hopefully be enough free resources to support it as I intend to support devices on down to tablets which are not the best at performance.

- Rich -

[Image: basic_badge.png] Phoenix USC - Steam group Phoenix USC - Twitter Phoenix USC - Facebook Phoenix USC - IndieDB Phoenix USC
IRC: quakenet.org #phoenixusc
Support Monkey X2 development at Mark Sibly's Patreon page.
Richard Betson
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2014 11:24 AM by Lone Outlaw.)
Most important map editor component will be a library that shares content, so its loaded online, and downloaded into your map editor. Similar to how adobe has stuff I think. If I create new tiles, animations, graphics, they are uploaded to the library. This way content always grows, individual zones wouldn't need to be entirely dependent upon development teams of their own. They could use community content to build a nice zone. Just add a message would you like to share your content, every time you leave the editor. And an option to shut that message off permanently. I think most people will be generous. Or people will alter their content in a way that it wont rip off their zone by sharing it, but allow others to use it to some degree.

Windows 7 64bit, AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 16 GIGS of Ram, Geforce GTX 760, Asus Xonar Essence ST Soundcard, Solid State Drive 500Gb.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
This forum uses Krzysztof "Supryk" Supryczynski addon..: